White Beans with Greens + Sausage
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 14 ounces Sausage (chicken or pork, the firm cooked ones)
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 15-ounce cans White Beans (cannellini, navy, or great northern)
- 11⁄2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly cracked)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme (or fresh)
- 1⁄2 bunch Green Kale (or 3 cups baby kale)
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Slice the sausage on a slight angle. In a 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook on both sides until browned, about 4 - 5 minutes, then remove them to a plate.
2. WHOLE BEANS
Mince the garlic and add it to the pan. Open and drain the beans; add ⅔ of them to the pan with the stock. Season with the salt, pepper and thyme; stir and bring to a simmer.
3. SMASH BEANS
In a medium bowl, smash remaining beans with a fork until a thick paste is formed. Add the smashed beans back into the skillet and stir to combine. Simmer until the beans are heated through and simmering, about 2 - 3 minutes.
Wash and dry the kale, and slice into about 1 - 2” squares. We’re ok with the stems here and cut right through them, but if you prefer, you can remove them first.
Add the kale to the beans and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often until sauce becomes creamy, is slightly reduced and kale has wilted, about 4 minutes more.
Add the parmesan, lemon zest and juice, and sausage to the pan. Stir to combine and adjust seasoning to taste.
Sprinkle with a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired, and perhaps more parmesan. Serve with crusty bread.