Why we love it:
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 3 ribs Celery
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Bell Pepper (Orange, Yellow or Red) (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (optional, if you don’t have this in you cabinet, use 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon paprika)
- 4 ounces Veggie Sausages (sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 15-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (White)
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
Dice the onion in small squares. Mince the garlic. Slice the celery. Dice the carrots. Slice both bell peppers in small squares.
In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and peppers. Season with salt and pepper, oregano, and Old Bay.
Slice the sausage in thin slices and add it to the pot. Cook for about 4 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Add the crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
Add the rice and stir until well coated.
Add the stock, and bring to a boil. As soon as it is boiling, stir the pot well to make sure nothing is sticking, then reduce the heat to medium low, and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid is almost absorbed. During this time, open the lid and stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan at least once and perhaps twice.
When the rice is tender, gently give everything a final stir and plate in large bowls. Put some sausages or peppers on top for a nice presentation. Garnish with lots of celery leaves.