Tortellini en Brodo
Why we love it:
- 1⁄2 Yellow Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 10 cups Stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly ground, if not using freshly ground, add closer to 1/16th of a teaspoon, the tiniest pinch!)
- 18 ounces Tortellini (we prefer cheese, but you could use any filling you enjoy)
- 1⁄2 pound Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated is key)
Cut the onion in half and peel it. Dice into small pieces.
Wash and dice the carrot into the same size pieces.
Mince the garlic.
In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat and add the onion and carrot. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the garlic. Add the salt and sauté for another 3 minutes.
Add the stock (either 10 cups stock OR 8 cups stock plus 2 cups water, as per substitution notes).
Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to maintain a simmer and add the black pepper and nutmeg. Using freshly ground really matters here since the soup is quite simple.
Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add the tortellini and cook until it’s done and al dente - check package instructions - likely about 8-9 minutes.
When the tortellini is done, stir in the spinach for 30 seconds to wilt.
Serve soup in large bowls and generously heap with Parmesan cheese.