Sweet + Savory Watermelon Salad with BBQ Veggies
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
We almost just wrote the recipe for only the watermelon salad. If you’re someone who likes things like kettle corn, sea salt on chocolate, or teriyaki sauce, you’ll love this sweet and savory watermelon salad. Also file this under fantastic summer potluck recipes.
- 1 pound Zucchini (assorted colors!)
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1⁄2 Watermelon (small “personal” watermelon - you want about 4 - 5 cups diced)
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 cup Green Olives, Pitted
- 1 Tablespoon Capers
- 6 ounces Feta Cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Mint Leaves (or parsley, basil, or a combination)
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES OR AN OUTDOOR BBQ GRILL
Dice the zucchini and cauliflower into large chunks. Drizzle a little olive oil and add a pinch of salt, place on a baking sheet. Roast (or BBQ) for about 4 minutes then slide out and add the BBQ sauce. Return to the oven and roast for another 8 - 10 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Stir occasionally so the sauce doesn't burn.
Dice watermelon into cubes and add to a large bowl.
Dice the cucumber. Slice the olives. Drain the capers. Add all to the watermelon. Add the feta, crumbling it as you go. Tear or chop the herbs and add that in too.
In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and red wine vinegar. Pour over the watermelon mix, and gently toss to combine.
Serve the roasted veggies with a big hearty side of watermelon salad.