Sweet + Savory Watermelon Salad with BBQ Chicken
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 11⁄4 pounds Whole Chicken Leg
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1⁄2 pound Zucchini
- 1⁄2 Watermelon (small “personal” watermelon - you want about 4 - 5 cups diced)
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 cup Green Olives, Pitted
- 1 Tablespoon Capers
- 6 ounces Feta Cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Mint Leaves (or parsley, basil, or a combination)
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES OR AN OUTDOOR BBQ GRILL
Season the chicken with salt on all sides and place on a baking sheet. Roast (or BBQ) for about 6 minutes, then slide out and add the BBQ sauce. Slice the zucchini into large 3” chunks and add to the pan with sauce too. Return to the oven and roast for another 8 - 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir occasionally so the sauce doesn't burn.
Dice watermelon into cubes and add to a large bowl.
Dice the cucumber. Slice the olives. Drain the capers. Add all to the watermelon. Add the feta, crumbling it as you go. Tear or chop the herbs and add that in too.
In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and red wine vinegar. Pour over the watermelon mix, and gently toss to combine.
Serve the chicken and zucchini with a big hearty side of watermelon salad.