Sesame Cabbage + Crunchy Noodle Salad
- Gluten Free
- Low Carb/Paleo
Why we love it:
- 1 package Ramen Noodles (the square, dry, package. Use flavor packet for pickling!)
- 1 bunch Broccolini (optional, or regular broccoli)
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1⁄2 head Red Cabbage (if you get a small one, you can use the entire thing. Looking for about 5 cups shredded)
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce
- 3 Mandarin Orangess (easy peel is always nice)
- 1⁄2 bunch Green Onion
- 1⁄4 cup Almonds (sliced are traditional, but slivered are fine, and if you have whole, just chop them up)
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1⁄4 cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon White Sesame Seeds (optional)
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 400
2. NOODLES + BROCCOLINI
On a baking sheet, place the ramen noodles. Crunch and crack them into smaller pieces. Slide to one side. Slice just the ends off the broccolini and discard (usually a quarter inch or less is necessary). Chop into 1 inch segments all the way. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil evenly over the noodles and broccolini. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt.
Place in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove and let cool
Cut the cabbage in half. Then in half again. Once you have quarters, you can use your knife on an angle to remove the core at the bottom. Place each quarter face down and slice as thinly as you can across the grain into thin, short strips. Add to the biggest bowl you have.
Cut the end off the romaine and cut the entire head in half lengthwise. Wash the leaves well and shake them dry. Lay flat and slice thinly into small strips. Add to the cabbage.
4. VEGGIES + CRUNCHIES
Peel the oranges and separate the segments. Slice the green onions thinly. Measure the ¼ cup almonds. Thinly slice the carrots - or if you prefer, grate them on the large holes of a box grater.
Add all of these to the bowl with the lettuce.
In a blender, add 3 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 Tablespoon honey, 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, 1 Tablespoon hoisin, 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, 1 Tablespoon ginger, and garlic. Blend to combine. Add the ¼ cup canola oil. Blend until emulsified.
(If you only have a food processor, add everything except the vinegar, soy sauce, and oil first so it gets a chance to finely chop the garlic and ginger. Once chopped well, add the rest. You might want to whisk the oil by hand in a small bowl).
Add to the lettuce. Add the broccoli and noodles. Toss with dressing to taste.
Serve generously in big bowls. Sprinkle sesame seeds over top to garnish.