Gnocchi Skillet with Mushrooms + Pesto
Why we love it:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Cremini Mushrooms
- 1 Shallot
- 1 pound Gnocchi (some packages may be slightly different in size, it’s ok)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher Salt (plus more for the pasta water)
- 1⁄4 cup Pesto (buy it prepared - in a jar or refrigerated)
- 6 ounces Fresh Mozzarella (I used small Ciliegine)
1. PREHEAT THE BROILER TO HIGH
2. PASTA WATER
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Slice or quarter mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a large flat-bottomed pan and add the mushrooms. Keep sauteing and add a pinch of salt (less is more at first). Dice the shallot or slice into half-moons. Add to the mushrooms and cook for another 2 - 4 minutes or until they are golden brown and shallot is soft.
Cook gnocchi for about 2 minutes in the water - don’t overcook or they will fall apart. Reserve about a ¼ cup of the cooking water and drain the gnocchi. Add them to the pan with the mushrooms.
Add the pesto to the pan and a few drizzles of the cooking water. Gently toss to combine and taste a little piece of mushroom or sauce to check for salt - the gnocchi brands will vary as will any prepared pesto. Add a little more if needed. Arrange in one layer.
6. MOZZARELLA + BROIL
*If you’d prefer, transfer to small ramekins or a casserole dish*
Break the mozzarella balls in ½ and scatter over the pan. Broil for 3 - 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and browns.
Serve immediately. Leftovers will taste amazing but don’t look as nice.