Eggs In Purgatory
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (or less, to taste)
- 1 28-ounce can Whole Tomato
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly cracked)
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated, plus more for serving)
- 6 Eggs
- 3 cups Arugula (or salad greens, baby kale or spinach)
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Baguette (or bread of choice)
Thinly slice the garlic.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and add 1 Tablespoon of the butter. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 45 seconds.
Add can of whole tomatoes and the juice to the skillet, along with the remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper. Crush tomatoes with a potato masher or big spoon until they're all broken up. Simmer for 25 minutes, continuing to crush larger pieces of tomato.
Stir parmesan into tomato sauce, and make 6 wells in the sauce with a wooden spoon. Crack one egg into each well and cover skillet. Cook eggs to desired doneness - about 3 minutes for set whites and runny yolks, 5 minutes for more well-done eggs. For fully done eggs cover the pan, too.
Wash and dry the greens. Drizzle with balsamic and a pinch of salt to taste.
Remove from heat. Top the pan generously with the arugula and serve with crusty bread.