Cucumber Gazpacho with Corn Dip + Toast Points
Why we love it:
- 3 English Cucumbers (if you use regular cucumbers, you should peel the waxy skin)
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus more for garnish)
- 5 leaves Basil
- 2 Tablespoons Sherry Vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Almonds (sliced or roughly chopped if whole)
- 1⁄2 cup Water (cold. And possibly more needed)
- 1 cup Sour Cream (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 ears Corn
- 1⁄2 cup Feta Cheese (about 4 ounces, the firm kind in water, about half of a typical block)
- 2 teaspoons Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Baguette
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
Place all ingredients for soup in a large blender. That’s: 3 englishEnglish cucumbers (wash them and coarsely chop in a few pieces), 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 5 basil leaves, 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, ½ cup almonds (save a few for garnish if you’d like), 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 clove peeled garlic.
Blend! Blend until it’s very smooth. Transfer to a large storage container and place in the fridge to chill for at least 10 minutes and up to 2 days.
2. PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES
3. CORN DIP
Shuck the corn and slice the kernels off the cob. Place in a bowl. Mince 1 clove of garlic and add to the bowl. Crumble in the feta. Add the 2 teaspoons mayo and 1/2 cup of sour cream. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Whisk together well.
Scrape the mixture into a small ramekin or baking dish. Mini ramekins are fun too, so each diner can have their own. Or use a small shallow dish that’s about 1 quart. Another option is to use a 8” glass pie pan.
Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until just golden and bubbly at the edges.
4. TOAST POINTS
Meanwhile, slice the baguette in half. Then slice it in half lengthwise. Smear each piece with butter.
Place on a baking sheet into the oven and bake for about 6-8 minutes, keeping your eye on it, until its golden brown and delicious. Cut each quarter in half on a dramatic angle.
Plate cold bowls of gazpacho. Garnish soup with torn basil leaves and extra almonds if you reserved some. Serve with corn dip and toast points for dipping.