Beef + Pepper Rice Bowls with Cheese
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (White)
- 11⁄4 cups Water
- 11⁄4 teaspoons Kosher Salt (divided)
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 Yellow Onion (small)
- 2 cups Bell Pepper (Orange, Yellow or Red)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese (or pepper jack, shredded)
- 1 cup Cilantro (chopped)
Place the rice, water and ½ teaspoon of salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil and stir well, then turn down to low and tightly cover. Simmer on low for 16 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit until serving time.
2. ONIONS + PEPPERS
Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 2 minutes, then add bell peppers, season with a pinch of salt and pepper (reserving some) and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
Transfer pepper mixture to a plate.
Heat remaining Tablespoon of olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add in beef and break up with a wooden spoon, season with the rest of the salt and pepper. Continue to cook and break up beef, about 2 minutes more, until almost fully cooked through, then add garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne.
Cook beef through then stir in tomatoes and pepper mixture and warm through, about 1 minute
Plate a scoop of rice, top with some of the cheese, and spoon the beef and pepper mixture over top. Garnish with more cheese and cilantro.