Vermicelli Noodle Bowl
- Super Fast
Why we love it:
- 8 ounces Vermicelli Noodles (the package sizes vary greatly! Look for “bean thread” or “vermicelli” and around 8 ounces. A little more or less is ok, just adjust the sauce. And, if you have too much, seal airtight and store for next time. Leftovers are all delicious cold!)
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Bell Pepper (Orange, Yellow or Red)
- 1⁄4 pound Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon White Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce (or use vegan version, or soy sauce)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 Lime (zest and juice)
- 1⁄4 pound Arugula
- 1 Tablespoon Black Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Sunflower Seeds
Bring a pasta pot of water to a boil over high heat (cover the pot to make it go faster). Then, turn off the heat, add the noodles, and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes. Toss them with tongs a few times and drain once the noodles are tender.
Drain into a colander, rinse with cold water, and shake the colander to remove excess water.
Julienne the carrots and peppers (to Julienne carrots, slice into ¼ inch planks, then stack them and cut into strips the same thickness. Cut them shorter so that they are about 2 to 2 ½ inches long. For peppers, just slice off the sides of the pepper and cut across into very thin strips).
Trim the very end of the brussels, then slice through them to shred into thin strips. Toss and rake up with your fingers so they fall apart.
Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add all of the veggies and cook until a little bit browned and a little bit softened, stirring often, for about 4 minutes total. They’ll still have a good bite to them. Turn off the heat.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a mason jar, or other container with a tight lid, combine the ingredients for the sauce. That’s: the sugar, rice vinegar, fish sauce (or use a vegan version, or soy sauce), minced clove of garlic, oyster sauce, canola oil, and the zest and juice of 1 lime. Cover the jar and shake it! Set aside.
Add a Tablespoon or two of sauce to the hot pan with the veggies. Toss to coat.
Drizzle a little sauce over the noodles, toss to coat.
Plate the noodles in bowls, scatter the arugula around. Top with veggies. Sprinkle each with sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. Serve extra sauce on the side to drizzle over top to taste.