Ultimate Tomato Sandwich
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Let Your Friends Try This Recipe!
Why we love it:
Just because you don’t eat bacon doesn’t mean you can’t have a perfect summer tomato sandwich. Add avocado if you like, but if the tomatoes are in season and maybe even garden grown, you might not even need it.
Bread (8 slices)
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise (divided)
2 Heirloom Tomatos (or garden grown!)
1 head Green Leaf Lettuce
1⁄2 teaspoon Maldon Sea Salt
Slice your bread and smear one side of each slice of toast with mayo; reserve about 2 teaspoons of mayo for the sandwich. Heat a grill pan over medium high and place the mayo side down on the pan. Monitor and rotate while browning. We like to see the outside get deeply golden brown and crisp, then flip and toast the inside (without mayo) just a little bit so it’s not too moist or squishy. Remove to a working surface.
2. L + T
Slice the tomatoes thickly. Wash and dry the lettuce; either slice or fold into squares that are similar to the size of the bread.
Spread the insides of the bread with the remaining mayo and top with tomatoes. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Top with lettuce and the other slice of bread.
Serve, sliced in half, with seasonal fruit on the side.
Check out our new features!
use GF toast
omit mayo and use a dairy free spread to make this vegan. And check your bread
if you can’t or won’t, you can toast the bread with butter. If you don’t put any on the sandwich, maybe you want to add some avocado or another spread
add sliced avocado
add a thick slice of fresh mozzarella or goat cheese
roasted portobello, sliced zucchini, roasted eggplant, all make for a great addition
Kid Friendly Version
- Deconstruct the sandwich as needed
- If they aren’t vegetarian, add any chicken or sliced turkey, that’s a healthier addition than giving them too much bacon
- Add avocado
- Serve fruit, yogurt, or cheese on the side
- Dice the tomato or try halved cherry tomatoes
- Add fruit and yogurt
- If you have leftover pasta or rice, we’d add some to fill out the plate with a healthier grain
For Choosy Eaters
- Honestly, my kids won’t go near this. They’ll each nibble on lettuce and toast
- I gave them yogurt and cheese cubes for protein and calcium, they tried some cherry tomatoes
- I added a fried egg and some leftover rice to their plates
Prep Ahead & Use It Up
There’s nothing that can be done ahead!