Turkey + Bean Chili with Biscuits
- Dairy Free
- Super Fast
Why we love it:
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 2 ribs Celery
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 15-ounce can Pinto Beans
- 1 15-ounce can Red Kidney Beans
- 1 28-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes (fire roasted are perfect here)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Bisquick Mix (or other instant biscuit mix)
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese (grated, optional)
- 1 Avocado (optional)
Dice the onion, carrot, celery, and bell pepper into medium dice. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the veggies and sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the turkey to the pan and break it up into little pieces with a wooden spoon; cook for about 3 - 5 minutes.
Once turkey is mostly browned, add all of the spices: chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
Open the cans of beans and drain them. Open the tomatoes. Add beans, tomatoes, and the water to the pot; stir and bring to a boil. Simmer for at least 15 minutes and up to 30 to build flavor.
Follow the instructions on the package of biscuit mix. I always go for drop biscuits which are one-bowl and no rolling and cutting. Bake, typically for 16 minutes or so.
Grate cheese or dice avocado if using.
Serve bowls of chili with cheese and avocado on top and a biscuit on the side.