Why we love it:
- 1 Yellow Onion (small, peeled and quartered)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock (or chicken stock, or water)
- 1 28-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Half & Half (or whatever you have)
Peel and dice the onion. Mince the garlic clove.
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper until everything is fragrant and translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add the stock and can of tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook for at least 10 minutes and up to 30.
3. CHEESE SANDWICH
Meanwhile, make your preferred cheesy bread component. A grilled cheese works or go open face as we've shown here.
Transfer the soup to a blender or use a stick blender if you have one. Add the half&half while blending so it doesn't clump and blend until smooth.
Now, transfer this back to a pot. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Taste the soup. You may prefer another pinch of salt or pepper.
Ladle into bowls and serve with open cheesy bread. If you have fresh herbs they make for a nice topping.