Tofu + Pepper Rice Bowls
Why we love it:
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (White)
- 11⁄4 cups Water
- 11⁄4 teaspoons Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1 package Firm Tofu (the firmer, the better. Dry packed without liquid is even better)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 Yellow Onion (small)
- 2 Bell Pepper (Orange, Yellow or Red)s
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 15-ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese (or pepper jack, shredded)
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
Place the rice, water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil and stir well, then turn down to low and tightly cover. Simmer on low for 16 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit until serving time
Open the tofu, and if it was in water, layer it between a clean towel and press to squeeze out any excess. Cut into even cubes - about 1”. Place in a small bowl and toss with cornstarch, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and a ½ teaspoon of salt and a few turns of pepper. Turn to coat well.
Place in an even layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil. Place in the oven. Bake for 6 minutes then slide pan out and flip the squares over. Bake 4 minutes and flip once more, then remove
4. ONIONS + PEPPERS
Slice the onions into thin half moon strips.
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes while you slice the bell peppers. Slice them into thin julienne strips. Mince garlic cloves too.
Add the peppers and garlic to the pan and season with the rest of the salt and pepper. Sauté until softened and golden on the edges, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and any spices left over in the bowl from the tofu. Cook for 3 minutes or until simmering.
Grate the cheese.
Plate a scoop of rice, top with some of the cheese, and tomato/pepper mixture over top. Add tofu cubes and garnish with more cheese and cilantro.