Why we love it:
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Ground Ginger (ok to omit if you don't have it)
- 3 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional, or use less)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 head Cauliflower (sliced in florets)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 28-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 pinch White Sugar (optional)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (White)
- 11⁄4 cups Water
- 1 pound Baby Spinach (OR vegetable you have on hand)
- 6 ounces Feta Cheese (cubed)
Combine all of the spices in a small bowl, including half of the total salt.
Dice cauliflower into florets - don't forget that the center core and leaves all tatse great! Just trim any very dry or browned parts. Wash it well. Add half of the spice blend to to the florets, and turn to evenly coat.
Finely dice the onion.
In a large pot with tall sides, heat until shimmering. Add the diced onion, cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 6-8 minutes. Add the remaining spice blend.
Cook the spice blend on the bottom of the pan for 30 seconds or so. Add the can of tomatoes and the sugar. Add the cauliflower and about 1/2 cup of water. Cover partially and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened and the cauliflower is tender. It will take at least 20 minutes and up to 30 if the florets were large.
Combine rice and 1 1/4 cups of water in a small pot with a tight fitting lid, add 1 tsp salt (this should be half of the total salt called for). Bring to a boil over high heat, then stir once. Turn heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for 17 minutes then turn off the heat and leave it covered until you’re ready to serve dinner.
Whatever vegetable you're serving, roast or steam it until it's cooked through.
5. FINISH SAUCE
Add the cream (any dairy or coconut milk if using that) to the sauce slowly while stirring.
Cook sauce with cauliflower and cream for a final 5 minutes over low heat.
Stir in the feta cubes, if using.
Serve a scoop of rice, topped with cauliflower and sauce, veggie on the side.