Spinach + Cheese Baked Spaghetti Squash
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 1 Spaghetti Squash (or 2 if they’re small and you want each person to have their own)
- 1 head Garlic
- 1⁄2 cup Heavy Cream (or half & half or whole milk)
- 8 ounces Frozen Chopped Spinach (thawed and squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 4 ounces Fresh Goat Cheese
- 11⁄2 cups Mozzarella (shredded)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (small)
- 1 Shallot
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Black Pepper (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated, divided)
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
Put the whole spaghetti squash as is (no sticker!) in the microwave for 6 minutes on high. Remove carefully, it will be hot!
Slice a tiny bit of the stem end off. Slice in ½ lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and pulp, place the halves cut side up in a casserole dish.
Slice off the top portion of the garlic head to expose some of the cloves. Place both halves next to the squash in the dish.
In a medium bowl, mix together the goat cheese, milk, spinach, thyme, and mozzarella. Season with red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon of salt and about ¼ teaspoon pepper.
Slice the bell pepper thinly and slice the shallot thinly. Add both and mix with the cheese.
Poke the insides of the cleaned squash with a fork, all over. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper on the squash. Cover this with most of the parmesan - reserve a Tablespoon or so.
Divide the spinach and cheese mixture between the halves and pack it into place. Top with reserved parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue baking for another 15 - 20 minutes or until the squash is tender and the cheese is golden brown on top.
6. ROASTED GARLIC
Let the garlic cool a bit, then squeeze the cloves out into a bowl. Add the butter and mash together. Dollop on top of the squash halves.
If large and feeding 4, cut squash directly in ½ and plate. Use a fork to scrape the squash into strands, mixing the cheese with the squash.