Spinach Artichoke Tortellini
Why we love it:
- 1 package Frozen Chopped Spinach (about 7-8 ounces, or 1 ½ cups if you have a bulk bag)
- 1 Shallot
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1⁄4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly ground)
- 1 pound Tortellini (cheese, fresh or frozen)
- 1 15-ounce can Artichoke Hearts (quartered)
- 1⁄2 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated, divided)
- Bread (for serving)
- Spring Mix Salad Greens (salad for serving)
- Hot Sauce (optional, to taste)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional, to taste)
1. BRING A LARGE POT OF WATER TO A BOIL
Add salt for cooking pasta.
2. DEFROST SPINACH
You can get this started overnight, but if you don’t have time, just run the spinach under cool water and break it up into pieces as it thaws. When you can, squeeze out some excess water.
Slice the shallot into thin rings. Mince the garlic. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a pot with tall sides and add the shallot and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
Add the cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a gentle simmer. Add the spinach; if it’s still a little frozen and clumped, that’s ok. Keep stirring and break it up as you go.
Cook the tortellini about 1 minute less than the package instructions. Reserve ¼ cup of cooking water and drain when it’s done.
6. FINISH SAUCE
Drain the artichokes and coarsely chop them if you prefer smaller pieces, or leave them as is; add. Zest in the lemon and add about ½ of the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
When the spinach is fully defrosted and incorporated, add in the cooked tortellini. Gently toss to coat. If needed, to thin the sauce add some of the pasta cooking water or more cream. If not needed, toss out the cooking water.
If desired, add a squeeze of lemon juice and/or some hot sauce or red pepper flakes to taste.
Spoon into bowls and garnish with the remaining parmesan. Serve with bread or a green salad.