Sausage + Cauliflower Cheddar Melt
- Super Fast
Why we love it:
- 6 ounces Chicken Sausage (chicken apple is great - crumbled or sliced, more or less)
- 3 cups Frozen Cauliflower Florets (see Culinary Skills to use fresh)
- Crusty Bread (4 thick, or use 8 slices of thinner bread)
- 3 Tablespoons Whole Grain Mustard (or dijon)
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dried Chives
- 12 ounces Cheddar Cheese (sliced or grated)
- 4 cups Spring Mix Salad Greens
1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
Place a rack near the top.
Scatter cauliflower florets on a baking sheet and place it in the oven while you prep the rest.
Sauté the sausage in a small pan until golden brown. You can use either the soft, crumbly kind or the cooked slice-able kind. If you use the sliceable kind, you can actually skip this sauté step if you don’t mind having less caramelization on each piece.
Slice bread into 1-1.5” thick slices. Toast.
In a small bowl, whisk together: 3 Tablespoons whole grain mustard, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon mayo, ½ teaspoon dried chives.
Smear the sauce evenly on top of all of the toasts.
Remove the cauliflower from the oven and if needed, chop it up a bit so it will lie flat on the bread. Nestle in the sausage. Divide among toasts and sprinkle with a pinch of salt each.
Top with cheese, sliced or grated and don’t be shy.
Move into the top rack in the oven and bake for about 5 - 7 minutes until everything is hot and the cheese is melted and golden brown. If the cheese isn’t roasting enough, switch the oven to broil and keep an eye on it.
Serve melts with a side salad and some fruit.