Roast Winter Squash with Kale Pipian
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 2 Delicata Squashs
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (small, or other yellow variety
- 1⁄2 pound Apple (ideally fuji or gala)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1⁄4 Yellow Onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1 6-ounce can Tomatillos (or 4 fresh tomatillos, or ½ cup tomatillo salsa)
- 1 bunch Lacinato Kale (small bunch, ribs and stems removed, leaves torn)
- 4 Tablespoons Pepitas
- 1 Lime (zest and juice)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Pomegranate
- 4 ounces Cotija Cheese (or parmesan, optional)
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
2. SQUASH + POTATOES + APPLES
Wash the delicata squash, then slice in ½. Scoop the seeds and guts out with a spoon then slice in half moons. Wash potatoes and cut in half or quarters to make pieces that are about 1”. Wash and dice apples into 1” cubes with the skin on.
Toss squash pieces, apples, and potatoes with oil on a rimmed baking sheet to coat; season with a pinch of kosher salt. Roast, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, about 20 - 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the onion, garlic, tomatillos, and 1 cup water. Wash and coarsely chop the kale. Add to the blender. Add the pepitas. Zest in the lime and then add the juice. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and cumin.
Blend well, stopping to stir if needed.
When the sauce is mostly smooth and consistent, pour into a small sauce pot and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally for about 5 - 10 minutes until sauce thickens a bit and turns slightly darker brown.
Remove the seeds from the peel and membrane. You can do this by holding the fruit underwater; cut in ½ and hit the back with a spoon; or just slicing and peeling.
Divide squash, apples, and potatoes among plates. Top with sauce to taste. Grate the cotija (or parmesan) over top to taste. Sprinkle all over with as many pomegranate seeds as you want.