Red Lentil Soup
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Low Carb/Paleo
Why we love it:
- 1 Carrot (diced)
- 2 ribs Celery (optional)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 Yukon Gold Potatoes (another variety is ok too - about ¼ pound but it really doesn’t much matter, a little more or less will be fine)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher Salt (plus more to taste)
- 11⁄2 cups Red Lentils (dry)
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock (sub water if needed)
- 1 whole Bay Leaf (optional)
- 1⁄2 Lemon (juiced)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley (minced, optional for serving)
- Plain Greek Yogurt (or sour cream, optional, for serving)
- Coconut Milk (optional, for serving)
1. VEGGIE BASE
Dice the carrot, celery, onion. Wash and dice the potato (it’s ok to leave the skin on unless you use a russet potato in which case, do peel it). Mince the garlic.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan or pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the vegetables and salt.
Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softening and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the lentils, stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Stir well, and reduce the heat to medium low and cover partially. Simmer until the lentils begin to fall apart, about 15 - 20 minutes. Check that the potatoes are tender.
Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and season with additional salt as needed.
Chop the parsley and either stir into the soup or save for garnishing each bowl.
Ladle into bowls and serve as is, or with an optional dollop of yogurt (or sour cream or coconut milk as desired) or chopped parsley to taste.