Portobello Burgers, Feta Sauce, Roasted Peppers, Cucumber Salad
Why we love it:
- 11⁄4 pounds Portobello Mushroom (about 4-8 pieces depending on their size)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly cracked)
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1⁄2 bunch Basil (leaves torn, divided)
- 6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 English Cucumber (washed and sliced in thin rounds)
- 1⁄4 cup Kalamata Olives (cut in half if you like)
- 6 ounces Feta Cheese (use a soft sheep’s feta or already crumbled)
- 4 Tablespoons Plain Greek Yogurt (we prefer whole milk, but that’s up to you)
- 2 Roasted Red Pepperss (from a jar, or more to taste)
- 4 Brioche Hamburger Buns
Remove the stem from the mushroom caps, you can rock them back and forth with your fingers until they snap off. If you have very huge mushrooms (only 4), use a thin knife to “butterfly” the cap in half - taking the top piece off but leave enough on the bottom so it stays in tack. Basically, hold your knife parallel to the cutting board and carefully slice through the cap about ⅓ of the way from the board. ** if you had “baby ‘bellas” or just smaller mushrooms, no need to slice them at all.
Tear the basil into pieces. You could chop it, but it’s less likely to turn brown if you tear it!
Mix the 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon dijon, garlic powder, paprika, and 3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large bowl. Add ¼ of the torn basil leaves.
Toss the mushroom caps in the spice and olive oil mixture.
2. CUCUMBER SALAD
In a medium bowl, add the remaining ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and a ¼ teaspoon of salt. Whisk. Then drizzle in the 3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil while whisking to combine. Slice the cucumbers thinly, on a mandoline if you have one, or with a knife, as evenly as you can. Add them directly to the bowl. Add the olives and about 1/2 of the torn basil. Carefully turn with a large spoon to coat all of the cucumbers.
3. COOK MUSHROOMS
Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms in as close to 1 layer as you can. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side until the mushrooms are browned and soft but not falling apart.
4. FETA SAUCE
While the mushrooms are cooking, make the feta sauce. In a small bowl combine the feta, yogurt, and a small pinch of salt. Use a fork to mash the feta a bit and combine it evenly. Set aside for serving.
5. BUNS + PEPPERS
If you’d like to, toast the buns and set one on each plate.
Slice the red peppers or tear them into strips.
When the mushrooms are done, top each bun with a pieces evenly. Spoon the feta sauce evenly over each, then layer on the roasted red peppers. Garnish with the remaining torn basil leaves. Replace the top of the bun. Serve cucumber salad on the side.