One Pot Pasta Bake with Sausage + Cheese
Why we love it:
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (possibly more depending on your sausage, plus salt for pasta water)
- 1 pound Rotelli Pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 pound Sausage (Italian or your preference but look for the soft, uncooked kind)
- 1 pound Button Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 28-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes (or tomato puree, or diced if you like it chunky)
- 12 ounces Mozzarella (shredded) (or block, divided)
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces Fresh Chevre (crumbled, or cream cheese or crème fraîche can be used instead)
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
2. BRING A LARGE POT OF SALTED WATER TO A BOIL
Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain. If using 1 pot, wait and get started when pasta is done. Or use 2 pots and start on the sauce now.
3. SAUTÉ SAUCE
In a shallow heavy pot, melt the butter. Slice the onion into half-moon rings and add that. Crumble in the sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Slice the mushrooms and add them in. Sauté everything over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Cook for another 5 - 8 minutes or until the sausage is cooked and browned and the mushrooms have given up their liquid and are browning. Cook longer if you prefer these things even more well done.
Add the tomatoes. Fill about ¼ of the can with water and make sure to get out all of the tomato, then add that back into the pot as well. Simmer for about 5 minutes or while the pasta finishes.
Dice about ⅔ of the total mozzarella into small cubes, about ⅓” or so. Grate the rest (if you bought shredded, do nothing else)
Toss together the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
Add the pasta to the tomato sauce and veggies. Add the diced mozzarella cubes (or ⅔ of the total shredded mozz), and the fresh chevre. Stir well.
Taste it. Depending on the sausage and tomatoes you used, you may prefer more salt.
Press back into the Dutch oven or into the casserole dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and all of the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for about 20 minutes or until melted and hot.
Let cool a little bit and scoop onto plates.
Stores and reheats amazingly. I love having a pot in the fridge and digging in all week!