Mushroom Stroganoff + Egg Noodles
- Super Fast
Why we love it:
- 16 ounces Button Mushrooms (a chef’s blend is great too!)
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1⁄4 cup White Wine (or use sherry vinegar or lemon)
- 2 cups Stock (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Whole Grain Mustard
- 12 ounces Egg Noodles (wide type)
- 1⁄2 cup Sour Cream
- 1⁄4 cup Fresh Parsley (Italian type, or use chives or basil)
Clean mushrooms with a damp towel. Slice mushrooms. Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
In a pot or large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Sauté the mushrooms, onions, and garlic with a pinch of salt, for 8 - 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked and golden brown.
Add 1 Tablespoon of flour and stir to coat. Cook for 45 seconds. Add the wine and stir until it is reduced by half. Add the stock, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, black pepper, and mustard. Scrape up any brown bits. Let it simmer and it will thicken. Cook for about 8 minutes total.
3. BRING A POT OF WATER TO A BOIL
Meanwhile, boil the noodles according to package instructions. Drain, toss in a bowl with 1 Tablespoon of butter and keep warm.
4. FINISH SAUCE
Remove the mushrooms from the heat. Place the sour cream in a small bowl. Whisk in about 1 cup of the hot mushrooms and broth; then transfer this all back into the pan. Stir to combine.
Taste the mushrooms, you may prefer another pinch of salt. Plate a mound of noodles and spoon mushrooms and sauce over top. Chop and garnish with parsley/herbs.