Leftover Turkey Chilaquiles
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 12 Corn Tortillas (cut into 8 wedges each)
- 1⁄4 cup Canola Oil (for frying)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (divided, possibly more to taste)
- 4 Roma Tomatos
- 1⁄2 Yellow Onion
- 1 Jalapeño (remove the seeds if you prefer it less spicy)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 11⁄4 cups Chicken Stock (divided - if the weekend after Thanksgiving use GRAVY)
- 1 cup Turkey Breast (use leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner!)
- 1 cup Brussels Sprouts (cooked! Leftover from Thanksgiving, or see substitutions)
- 1 Avocado
- 4 ounces Queso Fresco
- 1⁄2 bunch Cilantro (stems and leaves, chopped)
Stack and slice the tortillas into 8 wedges each.
Heat the ¼ cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add about a ¼ of the tortilla wedges and cook for 2 minutes or so, then flip, and cook the other side, until they’re lightly brown and crisp. Making sure they’re fully crisp is key.
Drain the tortilla chips on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat this process until all tortillas are fried, adding more oil if needed.
Coarsely chop the tomato, onion and jalapeño. Peel the garlic. Place all of the veggies in a blender with about 1 cup of stock to start ( it's ok to use a food processor if that’s all you have, but be cautious with the liquid height so it doesn’t overflow). Blend until smooth.
Add the salsa to a large, flat bottom sauté pan and cook stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. This should take about 6 - 8 minutes. Season with about ½ teaspoon of salt to start, then add a little more if needed as you reduce the salsa.
Coat the chips with the salsa in the pan, turning carefully. Continue cooking until tortillas are heated through and softened slightly, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
5. TURKEY + BRUSSELS SPROUTS
While the chips are heating, shred up about 1 cup of leftover turkey meat. Add to the pan.
Coarsely chop up any leftover brussels sprouts and add them to the pan, turn to heat through.
Serve immediately, topped with diced avocado, crumbled queso fresco and chopped cilantro.