Fattoush Salad with Pita
Why we love it:
- 2 Pitas (torn into bite-size pieces)
- 3⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (freshly ground, divided)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Sumac (divided)
- 1 Lemon (zested and juiced)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce
- 1⁄2 head Green Cabbage
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 ribs Celery (especially the insides and with leaves attached)
- 1 15-ounce can Green Olives, Pitted (or black olives, not from a can)
- 1 15-ounce can Garbanzo Beans (drained)
- 6 ounces Feta Cheese
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
2. PITA CROUTONS
Tear or slice the pita into bite size pieces. Place on a baking sheet and toss with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add ½ of the ground sumac. Toss to coat well. Roast in the oven for about 6-8 minutes or until crispy. Stir once during this time and keep your eye on it so they don’t burn.
In a bowl or jar, combine the remaining sumac, remaining salt and pepper, lemon juice and zest, honey, minced garlic, Dijon, vinegar, and dried oregano in a small bowl. Whisk or put the lid on the jar and shake it well.
Add the remaining oil, whisking constantly if using a bowl, or at once in a jar. Shake or whisk until well blended.
4. LETTUCE + CABBAGE
Wash the romaine and dry it. Slice into 1” pieces. Remove the core from the cabbage and slice it thinly into strips. Toss together in a large bowl.
Slice the cucumber in half, then in half-moons. Leave the tomatoes whole, or slice in half. Add both to the lettuce. Slice the celery in thin slices. This is an especially good use for the inside pieces with leaves attached.
6. BEANS + OLIVES
Drain and slice the olives in half. Drain the garbanzo beans. Toss both of these with the lettuces too.
Crumble the feta over top of the lettuce.
Right before serving, toss the pita with the salad and add the dressing. Toss well to combine everything. Plate a big towering pile of salad on plates.