Curried Sweet Potato + Garbanzo Bean Bowl
- Dairy Free
Why we love it:
- 2 pounds Sweet Potato
- 2 15-ounce cans Garbanzo Beans
- 2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 11⁄2 cups Quinoa
- 3 cups Water
- 1 pound Green Kale (baby variety, or baby spinach, arugula or similar)
- 1⁄4 cup Tahini
- 1⁄2 Lemon (juice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Honey
1. HEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
2. POTATOES + BEANS
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Wash the sweet potato skins. Slice them lengthwise into 4 wedges, then turn and slice perpendicular into ¼ inch thin triangle shapes. Place on baking sheet.
Open and drain the garbanzo beans. Add them to the pan. Toss the beans and potatoes with the curry powder and paprika. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the olive oil. Toss to coat well. Place in the oven and roast for about 14 minutes, stopping once or twice to stir and flip the potatoes. It’s done when the potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, bring the quinoa, water and about ½ teaspoon of salt to a boil, stir well. Turn the heat down to low and partially cover the pot. Boil for about 17 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Stir well and replace the lid, let it steam for another 5 minutes.
4. BABY GREENS
Wash the greens and drain off most of the water and cook them. To cook you can either:
- Add them to the pan with the potatoes and let them steam in the oven for the last 2 - 3 minutes of cooking until the greens mostly wilt.
- Add the greens to the top of the quinoa pan just before you turn off the heat and before covering the pot. They’ll steam while the quinoa rests.
- Sauté them separately in a sauté pan.
5. TAHINI SAUCE
Use a blender (regular, bullet blender or stick blenders all work). You can use a whisk too, if you prefer.
Add the tahini, lemon juice, and honey to a bowl. Add a pinch of salt. And whisk, streaming in water to make a dressing consistency - you’ll need about 2 - 3 times as much water as tahini (ex. ¼ cup tahini and ¾ cup water) - but you can adjust to taste and preference.
Scoop quinoa into bowls. Top with greens and divide sweet potatoes and chickpeas on top. Drizzle generously with tahini sauce.