Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes + Green Salad
- Gluten Free
Why we love it:
- 4 Heirloom Tomatos (or beefsteak, large)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Mozzarella (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup Fontina Cheese (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 4 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 4 teaspoons Breadcrumbs (optional)
- 4 cups Spring Mix Salad Greens (also any salad toppings you’d like)
- 4 teaspoons Salad Dressing
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES
Slice off the top “cap” of each tomato (do not discard the cap). Use a teaspoon and into a bowl, scrape out the juices and some of the inside membranes of the tomato clearing a bit of a cavity. It won’t’ look completely hollow like a pumpkin, just make some space. (Save those insides for a soup or stew! Or, blend the juices in your next homemade salad dressing). Drizzle the insides of each tomato evenly with salt and olive oil and place on a baking sheet.
Mix together the mozzarella, fontina, dried oregano, and garlic powder. Pack each tomato full of the cheese, really stuff it in there. Drizzle the cream evenly over each tomato and let it trickle down through the cheese. Top with parmesan. If you like, you can also top each with 1 teaspoon of breadcrumbs too.
Place the little tomato caps alongside and bake for about 22 - 26 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and the cheese is hot and melted.
Toss the lettuce with any veggies and dressing of your choice.
Serve a tomato with side salad.