Black Bean Burgers
Why we love it:
- 1 pound Sweet Potato (or garnet yams - they have the best color)
- 2 teaspoons Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (optional)
- 2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs (divided, might use more)
- 2 15-ounce cans Black Beans
- Swiss Cheese (4 slices - I love swiss but havarti, american, provolone, cheddar...all good)
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 Whole Tomato (or whatever you like to top your burger with)
- 4 Burger Buns (pretzel buns, brioche, english muffins, etc. whatever you like!)
- 1⁄4 cup Pickles (for serving, optional)
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 450 DEGREES
2. SWEET POTATO FRIES
Wash potatoes and slice them lengthwise in half. Then slice each half into wedges. Toss on a baking sheet with a teaspoon of oil and a ¼ teaspoon of salt. Spread out in one layer and roast for 8 minutes. Flip over and finish cooking for another 4 - 5 minutes or until they’re tender and crisp. Garnish with fancy sea salt (or a pinch more kosher salt) and chopped parsley or other herb (if you have some one hand).
3. BEAN PATTIES
In a medium bowl, place paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and eggs. Add ¾ teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Add about 1 cup of panko and mix in. Drain the beans well and add them to the bowl. Use a fork or your hands to mash at least ½ of the beans. You can leave some whole or mash them all smoothly.
It should be wet but able to form a ball. If needed add more panko.
Divide into 4 even balls. Place the rest of the panko on a plate and gently press the bean balls into 1” thick patties, 1 at a time. Use the extra panko to form a patty and encourage them to stick together in shape. Evenly coat both sides. Set aside. Repeat with all.
Heat a heavy sauté pan and add 1 teaspoon of oil. Add each patty and cook until golden brown and firm, about 6 - 8 minutes, then flip and cook the other side. Cook the second side for about 5 - 7 minutes or until cooked through. You can add cheese if desired while the second side is cooking, or slide the whole pan into a 350 degree oven to melt the cheese.
Stir together the mayo and sriracha. Slice tomato for topping and prep anything else you plan to add.
Toast buns if you like. Top with sauce. Add burger patty, other toppings, and the top bun. Serve with fries and pickles.