Basil Brown Butter Spaghetti + Heirloom Tomato Salad
Why we love it:
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1 pound Spaghetti
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (optional, to taste)
- 11⁄2 teaspoons Black Pepper (freshly cracked)
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated is important)
- 11⁄2 cups Basil (fresh)
- 1 pound Heirloom Tomato
- 1 Lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil with most of the salt; cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Just before draining, reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain.
Mince the garlic finely.
Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until the butter solids are browning and fragrant. Reduce the heat to low and add ½ cup pasta water, the pasta, remaining unmelted butter, and parmesan.
Toss until combined and smooth.
Tear, or chiffonade the basil. Remove pasta from the heat, add the basil and toss, adding in more pasta water if needed to thin the sauce.
Slice and plate tomatoes. Top with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon; drizzle with olive oil if desired.
Serve piled high in bowls and top with more cheese or basil to taste. Serve with tomato salad.