Alison’s Famous Turkey Burgers
Why we love it:
- 1 pound Sweet Potato (or garnet yams - they have the best color)
- 2 teaspoons Canola Oil (roughly, divided)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (divided)
- 11⁄4 pounds Ground Turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1⁄4 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Black Pepper (optional)
- 2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs (divided, might use less)
- Swiss Cheese (4 slices - we love swiss but havarti, american, provolone, cheddar...all good)
- 1 Whole Tomato (or whatever you like to top your burger with)
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Sriracha
- 4 Burger Buns (pretzel buns, brioche, english muffins, etc. whatever you like!)
- 1⁄4 cup Pickles (for serving, optional)
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 450 DEGREES
2. SWEET POTATO FRIES
Wash potatoes and slice them lengthwise in half. Then slice each half into wedges. Toss on a baking sheet with a teaspoon of oil and a ¼ teaspoon of salt. Spread out in one layer and roast for 8 minutes. Flip over and finish cooking for another 4 - 5 minutes or until they’re tender and crisp. Garnish with fancy sea salt (or a pinch more kosher salt) and chopped parsley or other herb (if you have some one hand).
3. TURKEY PATTIES
In a medium bowl, place the turkey, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cottage cheese. Add ¾ teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Mix together. Add about ¼ - ½ cup of panko and mix in. It should be wet but able to form a ball. If needed add more panko.
Form into 4 even balls. Place the rest of the panko on a plate and gently press the turkey balls into 1” thick patties, 1 at a time to evenly coat and shape the sides. Set aside. Repeat with all.
Heat a heavy sauté pan and add 1 teaspoon of oil. Add each patty and cook until golden brown and firm, about 4 - 6 minutes, then flip and cook the other side. Cook the second side for about 5 - 7 minutes or until cooked through. You can add cheese if desired while the second side is cooking, or slide the whole pan into a 350 degree oven to melt the cheese.
Stir together the mayo and sriracha. Slice tomato for topping and prep anything else you plan to add.
Toast buns if you like. Top with sauce. Add burger patty, other toppings, and the top bun. Serve with fries and pickles.